Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Tuesday September 13, 2011

Josh's blood counts are back up!  He is feeling a bit better but is still suffering with the mouth sores.  The last couple of days he has gotten out of bed and gone for a couple of walks each day.  He has really been pushing himself to get active again.  The doctors have discontinued his antibiotics and antifungals, two less things to take.  His wound is looking much better and holding the vacuum for three whole days without beeping.  This is because his proteins have continued to go up and it is starting to heal.  We don't really know what the next steps are as far as his care.  We are hoping that they will get him some good physical therapy, sew up his wound, and reverse his ostomy before he comes home. 

On another note, Embyr started pre-school on Monday!  She was so excited and went into the classroom with no problems...she was ready.  I on the other hand had my mommy moment in the parking lot and had to cry a little, especially when I realized Josh didn't get to see her off that morning.  I took some pictures of her though and brought the camera so he could see his baby on her first day of school.  I went to the OBGYN doctor on Monday too and got to hear the heartbeat and found out that our next visit in October will be when we get to find out the sex of the baby.  I got back to the hospital Monday afternoon and ran into a nurse we had on another floor and her background was OB.  She asked how I was and when I had been to the Dr. last, I told her I had just been and that I got to hear the heartbeat.  She was so excited for me and was so sweet, she went to get one of the heartbeat things and brought it into Josh's room.  Josh, Embyr, and his Mom all got to hear the baby's heartbeat.  It was such a sweet moment! 

We have some specific prayer requests right now that I want to ask all of you for.  This whole time that Josh has been in the hospital we have been waiting to be approved for Medicaid.  The oncologist's social worker has been the one helping us and she informed me yesterday that it isn't looking good.  In order for Josh to get Medicaid he had to apply for Social Security Disability.  Well, they are acting like he will be able to go back to work in no time...yeah right!  We just don't understand their thinking, he can barely get on his own two feet and has to use a walker to get down the hallway.  On top of that, he still has so much more chemo to go and working will be incredibly difficult for him in the next year.  We are praying that our social worker can get through to these people and get them to realize how serious his situation is.  Meanwhile, while we are waiting for everything to be approved we have all of these bills rolling in.  I am just trying to ignore them for now until we find out more about his situation.  So, my specific prayer request right now is that we get his Medicaid to come through for him.  Thanks everyone for your continued prayers and strength.

Josh and Kalyn

3 comments:

Ginger said...

Wow, things sound amazing! I need to come by and see him this week - it's been a while (or it seems like it). I will say prayers for Medicaid, etc...I cannot fathom how they can reason that he will be able to return to work - ridiculous! Many, many prayrs - love you tons!! Will call you tomorrow - tell Josh I love him - and congrats to Embyr! She's such a big girl now! :)

Anonymous said...

That is really good news. I will be sure to include your request in my prayers. Lisa Hanson

Tante said...

Thanks for the update! I've been praying for things to get brighter for Josh. Small steps in the right direction are what we need now.

I wish I could have been there to hear the heartbeats! A baby is such a miracle!

As a former pre-school teacher, I know Embyr will be fine at pre-school! It is always harder on the mom's. One day, you'll be counting the days until school starts back up again! Remember, tears are cleansing, and they are good for our souls!